(1) Under Art.161 the Governor of a State shall have the power to grant pardons, reprieves, respites, or remissions of punishment or to suspend remit commute the sentence of any person convicted of any offence against any law relating to a matter to which the executive power of the State extends.
(2) Under Art. 164, the Chief Minister shall be appointed by the Governor and the other Ministers shall be appointed by the Governor on the advice of the Chief Minister, and the Minister shall hold office during the pleasure of the Governor.
(3) Under Art. 165, the Governor shall appoint a person who is qualified to be appointed a Judge of a High Court to be Advocate- General for the State.
(4) Nomination of persons having special knowledge or practical experience in the field of Literature, Science, Art, Co-operative Movement and Social Service, to the Legislative Council in accordance with the provisions of Art. 171(3)(e) of the Constitution.
(5) Summon from time to time the House or each House of the Legislature of the State to meet at such time and place as deem fit as per Art.174(1) of the Constitution. Also Prorogue the House or either House or dissolve the Legislative Assembly as per Art. 174(2) of the Constitution of India.
(6) As per the provisions of Art.175 of the Constitution of India address the Legislative Assembly or both the Houses of Legislature and may for that purpose require attendance of Members. Also send messages to the House/Houses of Legislature whether with respect to a Bill then pending in the Legislature or otherwise, and a House to which any message is so sent shall with all convenient dispatch consider any matter required by the message to be taken into consideration.
(7) Address the Joint Session at the commencement of the first session after each general election to the Legislative Assembly and at the commencement of the first session of each year as per Art. 176 of the Constitution of India.
(8) Consideration of the Bills passed by both Houses of the Legislature, for assent as per Art. 200.
(9) Ensuring presentation of the Statement of estimated receipts and expenditure of the State for every financial year (Annual Financial Statement) in both the Houses of Legislature as per Article 202 of the Constitution.
(10) Ensuring presentation of Statement showing the estimated additional amount of expenditure of the State if any, before the Legislative Assembly as per Art. 205 of the Constitution.
(11) Appointments of persons to be, and the posting and promotion of, District Judges in consultation with the High Court of Karnataka as contemplated in Art. 233 of the Constitution of India.
(12) Appointments of persons other than a District Judges to the Judicial Service in accordance with rules made in this behalf and in consultation with High court as per the provisions of Art. 234 of the Constitution.
(13) Appointment of Chairman and Members of Public Service Commission as per Art. 316 of the Constitution.
(14) Sending periodical reports to the Government of India about the Affairs of the State.
(15) Protocol concerning the visiting Heads of State, Foreign Diplomats/Emissaries and Constitutional Authorities like the President and the Prime Minister of India.
(16) Administering oath of office and secrecy to the constitutional and statutory authorities like the Chief Justice and Judges of High Court of the State, Lokayukta/Upa-Lokayukta, etc.
(17) Presides over Government and Non-Governmental functions in the State, as the Constitutional Head of the State.
(18) Governor is also Chancellor of the Universities in the State under the relevant Acts and presides over the Convocation functions of the Universities. Also discharges other duties and functions attached to the Chancellor of the Universities under the relevant statutes of the universities. There is no mention in the Constitution of India that the Governors should be the Chancellors of the State universities.
(19) Governor as the Constitutional Head of the State also receives views and representations / memoranda from different sections of the public on various issues concerning the State.
(20) Governor of Assam is also the President of Indian Red Cross Society, Assam State Branch,(Flag Day), Bharat Scouts & Guides.